Home » 3GS, Geohot, jailbreak, unlock

Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n by Geohot – Simplest Jailbreak tool ever for Windows and Mac!

3 July 2009 109 Comments

UPDATE : iPhone 3GS has a different security feature which disables it from using any other firmware rather than the latest available. So, if you still need Unlock and Jailbreak, custom firmware (look in categories) is the only option we have. The following article is not recommended anymore. Thank you.

Geohot rules yet again! He was the one to have unlocked the iPhone first generation phone back in 2007 and now, he is back with more! This time it is iPhone 3GS that is unlocked and jailbroken by the hacking maestro (He wrote the jailbreak tool while unlock tool ultrasn0w is written by the Dev Team).

Without further ado, lets welcome the new Jailbreak tool for Windows and Macintosh computers.

Follow these steps closely :

1) You should have an iPhone 3GS to start with! iPhone 3G owners should follow this guide instead.

2) Download or make sure you have the latest iTunes version 8.2 for Windows.

3) You can use either Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista , Windows 7 or Windows XP with VMWare on a Mac for Purplera1n RC2.

4) If you qualify the 3 steps above,

download purplera1n RC2a for Mac

download purplera1n RC2a for Windows (an awesomely designed 394 KB tool, by far the slimmest version of Jailbreak!).

5) Connect your iPhone 3GS to your computer and double click purplera1n.exe (Windows) or purplera1n (Mac) screenshot 37 that you just downloaded. Now click on make it ra1n.

screenshot 27

screenshot 35

6a) Let purplera1n do its magic (It will put your iPhone 3GS in recovery mode and will install Freeze on your iPhone.)

(If the infamous windows crash message appears, close it and launch purplera1n again. It will start from where it last crashed! The entire jailbreak took less than 2 minutes! Awesome job Geohot!)

(Turn WiFi ON on your iPhone for faster Cydia installation)

6b) If your iPhone is still showing ‘Emergency Calls’ screen, you will have to hackitvate your iPhone 3GS before you can install Cydia and Unlock your iPhone.

screenshot 28

screenshot 30

7) Launch Freeze on your iPhone and install Cydia! It couldn’t be simpler! If you don’t see Freeze on your iPhone reboot your iPhone.

IMG_0070

IMG_0073

IMG_0075

8) You have 2 choices to Unlock your iPhone 3GS. Geohot and Dev Team. You should now see Cydia on your iPhone 3GS!

Follow Geohot’s Unlock if you have an activated iPhone 3GS.

Follow this quick screenshot tour of Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone 3GS using Dev Team’s unlock. Use this method if your iPhone is not activated.

9) Reboot your iPhone 3GS for full unlock glory! Wait for the signal to show up! It works great! Props to Dev Team and the famous Geo!

IMG_0077

Please donate to Geohot for all his efforts on this project. The Google kid shines! Feel free to post a comment if you are having an issue with this method.

p.s : Winterboard is causing the iPhone 3GS to boot in Safe Mode. Stay away from most of the Cydia apps. SBSettings works great. Any app that is dependent on Mobilesubstrate may cause some issues (Safe Mode). MobileSubstrate fixed all issues!

Ultrasn0w is causing some issues with WiFi at the moment. Please proceed cautiously. Ultrasn0w and purplesn0w – both work great!

• Claude said:

I've got a 403 error when I click on the link to download purplera1n :(

• kkiran said:

I will post a mirror in a minute!

• kkiran said:

Uploaded it to Rapidshare, download it now! It is a 400 KB file, takes less than a minute even with the slowest of internet connections!

• Mostdom said:

Something is wrong as purplera1n is not working. With itunes running or not it freezes on recovery mode and won't reboot. I've tried it now on an xp and a vista machine with still no luck. And before you ask. 8.2 with 3gs and 3.0. My next attempt will be with the phone in dfu mode before I start. fingers crossed.

• kkiran said:

I didn't put it in DFU mode myself. purplera1n took care of it all! Restart them both and try again?
    Hope you get it to work… Good luck..

• slighlady said:

it doent work when i doble click the purplera1n should i click make it ra1n? coz nothing happen?

• Mostdom said:

Success! If you are having trouble try putting the phone into recovery mode manually before you start and close down itunes when it pops up. Then run purplera1n!

• kkiran said:

Yes, you have to click 'Make it rain'…

Congratulations!

• slighlady said:

how to put my phone in recovery mode?

Step One
    Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac.

Step Two
    Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
    As soon as the screen goes black release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

• slighlady said:

it says waiting for phone shold i wait for long time? coz nothin happen? should i open itunes while doing this? or should i put my phone in dfu mode?

• slighlady said:

then double click tha purplera1n.exe

• zeus said:

Grrrr! i run purplera1n, it puts phone into recovery mode…itunes boots up and says it needs to restore…if i run the restore, at the end purplerain says "done" but theres no "freeze" app.
    Im guessing i dont run the restore but if i dont, the app does nothing.

• kkiran said:

Ignore iTunes. purplera1n does its job (it will put the iPhone in restore mode and performs the jailbreak). Don't restore manually. If you see the 'done' message in purplera1n, then after all the activity that happens on the iPhone, reboot the iPhone. You should see the Freeze app. Hope it works!

• zeus said:

ok, thanks for that…

i get waiting for phone
    entering recovery mode
    phone enters recovery mode
    purplera1n just sits on entering recovery mode

how long does it say this for roughly?
    should i just wait or close the app and re-run?

• kkiran said:

Well, in that case you can put it in restore mode manually and rerun purplera1n.

• zeus said:

done that too…just get the awaiting itunes splash on the iphone and "waiting for phone" on purplera1n…thats it…

• mostdom said:

I tried it seven different ways and each time it locked on the restore screen. Only when I put the phone into restore mode before hand did it work. Why I don't know but it can't hurt to try it if all else fails.
    I just get the impression that purplera1n might be a bit quick or itunes is getting in the way.

• Mostdom said:

When I say restore I do mean recovery screen. doa!

• Kiran said:

Hmmm! There are 2 types of restore – Restore and DFU!

• kkiran said:

I don't know if you tried this already – did you try putting it in restore mode manually and then trying purplera1n?

• Mostdom said:

Restore mode yes. DFU no. It just sat there waiting for the iphone in dfu mode. and like everyone else with the problem it hung on the restore screen if I let purplera1n do it all. But put it into restore mode before you run purplera1n and bingo. This was on xp but I didn't want to try again on my vista system now that it is working. Can't see why it shouldn't work though!

• Mostdom said:

Each time I ran purplera1n my phone bottled and i had to restore 3.0 from scratch. Purplera1n will not recover from each failed attempt.

Restore first, then when you are about to try again, manualy put the phone into recovery mode and run purplera1n. I suggest shutting doen itunes when it pops up before you run Purplera1n but I don't know if it helps.

• kkiran said:

You don't have to restore 3.0 from scratch to get out of restore mode.

Hold Power Button + Home button for 15 Secs.
    Release buttons.
    Hold Home button for 2 secs.

• Mostdom said:

I think I did it for 15 but it kept jumping back to restore mode.

I'm about to run it again as I seem to have lost my gps. Winterboard crashed on install and all has gone a bit south. Will try purplera1n on vista again with restore preprepared.

• Mostdom said:

Right about the 15 sec thing. Doa.

Did not work with vista at all and worked first time with xp using the pre restore methods.

• wulf said:

you guys are so lame – even the easiest manuals you dont get it *lame*

• kkiran said:

Unfortunately not all environments are same, so sone people are still having issues…

• ClingingFetus said:

EVERY TIME I CLICK ON MAKE IT RAIN I GET AN ERROR AND IVE TRIED ON 4 OTHER COMPUTERS WTF

• kkiran said:

What is the error message and what is the operating system in your pc?

• ClingingFetus said:

Windows XP I get the purplerain.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. send report or don't send.

• kkiran said:

PurpleRa1n looks a specific FILE on a specific FOLDER.

Step 1: The file is \”iTunesMobileDevice.dll\”. Search on your computer and copy it.

Step 2: If does exists you need create the full path for the file like this:

\”C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\bin\”

Hope it works!

• ClingingFetus said:

Copy it and do what with it?

• kkiran said:

After copying it in that folder, launch purplera1n… Follow the steps in this guide…

• ClingingFetus said:

Okay I found C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\bin

but its in my D: drive, what do I do? The file exists though.

• kkiran said:

Lets make an exact copy of the directory structure in C: since it is hardcoded I believe.

• ClingingFetus said:

so I completely copy and paste the Apple folder to C:?

• kkiran said:

Yep, exactly in the same directory structure. In essence, you will have to replicate the structure in C:

• ClingingFetus said:

ITS WORKING, YOU ARE THE KING THANK U!!

• ClingingFetus said:

I think i'm stuck where the dude is holding the IPHONE its been doing this for a few minutes now.

• kkiran said:

Congratulations and enjoy the jailbreak!

• ClingingFetus said:

check my last post, it was stuck with the dude holding the iphone. I restarted it and went back to normal.

• ClingingFetus said:

Cydia installed, thank you thank you thank you!. Been here 4 hours trying to get this simple job done but I have a macbook pro so i'm using an old ass windows comp that runs on D: Thanks again man!

• kkiran said:

You are welcome! I used bootcamp (XP) on my Macbook Pro. I hate to go back to Windows ;) I am glad it finally worked. Now enjoy your weekend!

• ROMAN said:

WORKED FIRST TIME ON MINI DELL RUNNING XP AFTER TRYING HUNDRED TIME ON MAIN COMPUTER RUNNING VISTA

• kkiran said:

Yep, Vista is the culprit with all those weird permission errors! XP is the way to go!

• iPhone 3G S Follows Suit : Jailbreak and Unlock Not far off! | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[…] posts:Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n by Geohot – Simplest Jailbreak tool ever!Jailbreak and Activate iPhone 1.1.3 (Unlock Pending Confirmation)1.1.2, 1.1.3 OTB iPhone Perfect […]

• slighlady said:

still no t working i have don it for 4 times already when it turns to recovery mode it stops there, ther is no geohot logo, after closing itunes when it pop ups, i even tried running purplerain again at it says waiting for phone, im like going crazy… i want my 3gs jailbreak and unlock pls help….

• Kiran said:

PurpleRa1n looks a specific FILE on a specific FOLDER.

Step 2: If does exists you need create the full path for the file like this:

\”C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\bin\”

Hope it works!

• kkiran said:

PurpleRa1n looks a specific FILE on a specific FOLDER.
    Step 1: The file is \\”iTunesMobileDevice.dll\\”. Search on your computer and copy it.
    Step 2: If does exists you need create the full path for the file like this:
    \\”C:\\\\Program Files\\\\Common Files\\\\Apple\\\\Mobile Device Support\\\\bin\\”
    Hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone

• How to Hacktivate your iPhone 3GS after Geohot’s Purplera1n (Jailbreak,Unlock) | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[…] Make sure you used purplera1n and jailbroke your iPhone 3GS. If you see the Emergency calls screen, you may follow the next few […]

• 3GS unlock - Hackint0sh said:

[…] Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n by Geohot – Simplest Jailbreak tool ever! | i… How to Hacktivate your iPhone 3GS after Geohot’s Purplera1n (Jailbreak,Unlock) | iLikeMyiPhone __________________ —————————————— http://iLikeMyiPhone —————————————— […]

• The Iphone Spot said:

• PwnMyiFone » Blog Archive » Hacktivate your iPhone 3GS after Geohot’s Purplera1n said:

• Claude said:

Thanks but as idiot as I am, it took me 2 days to figure it out that I had to right click on the logo !

• kkiran said:

Trust me, it happens sometimes! I was in a similar situation many times! Enjoy your jailbreak :)

• Jailbreak, Activate and Unlock your iPhone 3GS Dev Team Style – Download redsn0w for Mac, Windows, Linux! | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[…] Geohot first released the 3GS Jailbreak solution and the Dev Team, who initially planned on releasing their version of the Jailbreak after Apple released iPhone 3.1 firmware had no other choice but to release it immediately! Dev Team’s redsn0w handles the jailbreak for your iPhone 3GS more like the 3G and 2G variations. […]

• DoesThisWorkWith3G said:

does purplera1n also work with 3G? I used it for my 3GS and it worked great. I would rather use this for my 3G ofer redsn0w since I am already familiar with the process.

• kkiran said:

Nope, purplera1n is only for 3GS. redsn0w for 3G is the faster, efficient way of doing it..

• andy said:

can someone here help me.. I've encountered a few problems and its driving me crazy. Please help me ..

1) At first I reached the stage where I click on install Cydia.. Nothing happens after I click on it.
    2) I re do the process again and it got worst, i got stuck at the picture with Geohot and it hangs..

What are the solutions to the two problems and how can I successfully unlock it.

• kkiran said:

Just perform the steps from step 1. It should overwrite it.

• Unlock your iPhone 3GS using purplesn0w (better than ultrasn0w)!6 | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[…] sure you Jailbreak your iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n before proceeding […]

• fonzy_magoo said:

i found an iphone on the Glasgow underground and went to hand it to the guard who turned out to be my neighbour down the street, he told me not to hand it in as it might "disappear". i put up notice's to see if anyone wanted to claim it for months now and no answer.
    I know its puck blocked cos when i tried to use it to find numbers in it i couldnt.Is it right to keep it and could i unlock it to use it as a phone too

• fonzy-magoo said:

My neighbour(the guard), reckons it been stolen by one of the regular "druggies" that use the network and they've been so smashed one day that they've left it on the seat or dropped it, these people dont deserve to have such valuable things , so i'll be happy if its one of them thats lost it .
    The phone is an 8gb 3g and my OS for my laptop is Vista home Premium

• fonzy-magoo said:

it hasnt been upgraded to 3.0 on the iTunes network and i havent altered or added the applications, i only recently connected it to my laptop to see what the excitment of iPhone was "all about", but didnt download the upgrade as i said just incase it causes any problems,

• fonzy_magoo said:

hi buddy , i would be greatful for any help whatsoever in unlocking the phone , im barely computer literateso i hope its just a matter of plugging it in and letting the computer do the work lol thanks

• matador said:

worked like fucking magic

• Jailbreak, Activate and Unlock your iPhone 3GS Dev Team Style – Download redsn0w for Mac, Windows, Linux! « Gaming Masterz said:

[…] and Unlock your iPhone 3GS Dev Team Style – Download redsn0w for Mac, Windows, Linux! Geohot first released the 3GS Jailbreak solution and the Dev Team, who initially planned on releasing their version of the Jailbreak after Apple […]

• sarah said:

After I jailbreak with purplera1n, everything works great BUT now I can't add more music, ringtones, videos to iphone from iTunes anymore. The ringtones, videos, new music are in the itunes yet they are not syncing to iphone. I have checked all of the ringtones and music and videos to go on my iphone but they donm't seem to be working. Has anyone else encountered this as well? My itunes are up-to-date as well as my firmware.

• kkiran said:

Hi Sarah… Sounds like a strange issue. Did you restore your iPhone 3GS from a backup or did you set it up as a new iPhone?

Windows or Mac computer and what is the OS?

We can definitely try some quick troubleshooting once I have the info…

• Ben said:

Me using windows vista and 3GS, 3.0.1 I think. It stuck at "done, wait for reboot". How long is the reboot should take? Any suggestion?

• iphoneuser92 said:

mine keeps getting stuck on the "done, waiting to reboot" window, and stays with the guy on my screen, why isnt it working? and is there a jailbreak for the 3.0.1 software?

• kkiran said:

purplera1n is retired for now, it works only with 3.0 firmware. redsn0w is the way to go. Check my latest post .. it is easy and simple, it works!

• Eddy said:

Help!! I cant restart my iPhone!!
    I'm stuck at the picture!!

• kkiran said:

What is the firmware version?
    Unplug the USB cable and plug it back in….

• totem71 said:

i'm stuck at the picture too, controls unresponsive, unplug/reconnect usb doesn't work. osx 10.5.7, iphone 3.01 firmware (yeah, should have read carefully first :-/)

• kkiran said:

purplera1n fails with 3.0.1…

redsn0w works fine though…

• john said:

3GS OS IS WINDOWS XP.

• john said:

3GS 3.0.1 OS WINDOWS XP. THANK YOU

• cholai said:

i run purplera1n 3gs jailbreak, i click make it , after my i phone 3gs still freeze. naothing happend. my i phone can't restart. Pls reply me

• kkiran said:

What firmware is on the iPhone?

• kimberly said:

i have the new iphone 3gs and i used the purplerain and nothing happens i want my iphone jailbroken please help

Please use redsn0w instead, for 3.0.1

• jeff said:

how come mine stop wer the picture is.n it wont reboot?wat could be the problem guys pls help me out here…..

• kkiran said:

Just unplug the USB cable and plug it back in when you see the picture (give it few minutes first)…

If it is 3.0.1 firmware, use redsn0w!

• Sarah said:

i'm stuck where the dude is holding the IPHONE its been doing this for a few hours now. trien re running purplera1n, clicked make it rain again and now it says waiting for phone, PLEASE HELP

• kkiran said:

May I know the firmware version and operating system info? You are using iPhone 3GS right?

• Sarah said:

yes the new 3gs, using windows, ki think its the 3.0.1 but not sure,

• kkiran said:

Well, if it is 3.0.1, then you will have to follow redsn0w as indicated!

• Sarah said:

i've been trying to figure out a solution for a few hours now and from what i've been reading i think the frimware is the 3.0.1 version, is there anyway that i can tell, its a brand bew phone and this is the first time that i have tried to jailbreak or do anything to it. I really appreciate your help. so worried

• Sarah said:

oh by the way yes it is the 3GS

• Sarah said:

if you have any idea of what i should do i would really appreciate it, i'm on call for work at 6am and so stressed as my phone isn't working and we don't have a house phone, don't know if i'll still have a job if i can't get it working :-/ so frazzled wish i had never tried this jailbreaking, pls help me

• Sarah said:

is there anything at all that i can do, i tried redsnow and that seems to work fine apart from when i get to the step of turning my phone off, (as it is still frozen i'm not able to do anything), if you can spare 2 secs i would really appreciate it, you're my only hope right now, desperate,

• Kadi said:

Do I need to have itunes for windows if I'm doing the break on my mac with the mac purple rain software? I know that sounds lame but it's in bold & I don't want to mess up my only phone…

• kkiran said:

Nope. You need iTunes for Mac! If you are on iPhone 3.0.1 please use redsn0w since purplera1n works only with 3.0 and not 3.0.1…

• niz said:

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my iphone is 16gig 3Gs with 3.0.0 firmware and 4.6 baseband. Operating sytem XP Pro SP3.

I tried to jailbreal it using Purplerain as per instruction above, once clicked on "make it rain" the program was running and it put my phone on recovery mode (with usb cable and itunes picture) then it crashed with the message saying Purplerain encountered an error blah blah and need to close. Since then I tried many times and again the same thing happenes. I also read above comments and made sure the "TunesMobileDevice.dll" file is in the correct directory and still no joy.

Please help as my phone is in permanent recovery mode. Thanks.

• niz said:

Thanks for the quick reply mate. So what can I do to to put my phone back on? I am knackered as I didnt do a back up and if I do a restore it will will put 3.1 firmware on which I dont want to do. I download the v3.0 firmware and when I tried to restore it, it loads the firmwhere and then checking with apple, it says the firmware is not compatible with the device…..
    Your help is much appreciated

• iLikeMyiPhone said:

The only thing we can do right now is to wait since custom firmware for iPhone 3GS is not released yet. We cannot get 3.0 back on it since Apple is not signing those files anymore.

Please be patient and wait for the custom firmware for 3GS…

• Maiquel Rinco said:

There´s something to do with Iphone 3GS FW 3.1 locked to ATT ? there´s some way to unlock this iphone ? please help me some answer to maiquelrinco@hotmail.com

• Brandon said:

Need help. bought iphone 3gs from someone and was working fine… with my sim card from my other phone.. I did a reset in the phone to clear out the contacts and now the phone will only allow for
    emergency calls. will not work with my sim card.. my sim card works in my other phone. I tried the blackrain and purplerain downloads and nothing

• Brandon said:

• iLikeMyiPhone said:

Try running blackra1n (latest version) twice..

• bob said:

where the hell do u download purplerain at? the web site doesnt work

• venkat said:

hi

i struck with same problem, could help , what to do now.

• venkat said:

my iphone is 16gig 3Gs.Operating sytem XP Pro SP3.
    I tried to jailbreak it using Purplerain as per instruction above, once clicked on "make it rain" the program was running and it put my phone on recovery mode (with usb cable and itunes picture) then it crashed with the message saying Purplerain encountered an error blah blah and need to close. Since then I tried many times and again the same thing happenes.

Please help as my phone is in permanent recovery mode.

• leah said:

does this work for iphone 3gs 4.2?

• Sell your own handmade fashion for free. said:

It is in reality a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

• Armanda Dudden said:

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone the content!. Thanks For Your article about Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n by Geohot & .