Youtube on the iPhone for the (il)legal Masses!! NOOb’s guide :)
Its been a while since I bought an iPhone for a very good deal and I never signed an AT&T contract, still continuing my old Cingular thingy!! Lot of progress on different hacks but activating Youtube on the iPhone ignited little or no interest till recently Hackintosh forums were all abuzz about the Youtube Patch for the illegal iPhone users 😉
It requires some determination cos’ it might sound simple but replacing the files on the iPhone might get a little cumbersome for total noobs (like me 😉 I worked on the hack using Mac OS X, Windows users may find this guide useful.
Update : I was toying with unlocking the iPhone using various procedures and found that YouTube can be enabled on the iPhone after performing a full restore and activating it using iNdependence followed by upgrading the firmware to v1.0.2. It is very important that you use the latest version of iNdependence 1.2.1a and make sure you point iNdependence to the latest firmwareiPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw(unzip it to Desktop). Youtube should definitely work out of the box without fiddling with all the plist files.
All we need to do is fake authentication by replacing three files namely : data_ark.plist, device_private_key.pem and device_public_key.pem from a legit iPhone to our not so legit iPhones 😉 You can download them here.
So,now how do we replace the 3 mystery files??!
1) Jailbreak the iPhone using iNdependence.
2) Install the SSH application on your iPhone using installer.app (if you are unaware of it – it is the perfect time to explore it. Check it out here.
3) Now install FUGU client for the wireless file transfer / replacing of the three files in debate.
4) Open FUGU with the following parameters :
IP Address : 192.168.1.102 ( Make sure you are connected (iphone/mac) to your home wifi n/w.You can find the IP Address at Settings->General->WiFi->Network)
Username : root
Port : 22
Password : dottie (in case you still dint’ change it).
p.s : If you get a “Warning: Remote Host Identification has Changed” , click on Preferences->Known Host-> Delete all the IP Addresses shown there -> DONT’ FORGET to click on SAVE button at the end.
5) Navigate to var/root/library/lockdown/activation_records on the iPhone (in FUGU) and Copy the filename(13 digits).plist to the folder where you saved the 3 legit files.
6) Navigate to var/root/library/lockdown/pair_records on the iPhone (in FUGU) and Copy all three files to the folder where you saved the 3 legit files.
7) Now open the the data_ark.plist file you downloaded from rapidshare with textedit. Find the