Used 8GB iPhone Replaced with 16GB for $107 with no Restocking Fee!
It was a tension filled day since I had to make some decisions like buying a 16GB iPhone since I already bought an 8GB version 10 days ago. I was secured with a return policy but paying a restocking fee ($40) really upset me. I am spending over my budget on Apple!! My 10 day 8GB (1.1.2 OTB) iPhone was Activated, Jailbroken and Cingular activated (no contract) with 1.1.3 glory and I saw the 16GB iPhone via Digg.com I was restless, I had to get this memory-upped version before my 14 day return expires.
How I tried restoring the iPhone to factory defaults after 1.1.3 Jailbreak :
1) I readily downgraded it to 1.1.1 as described in my other posts.
2) Activated using the fun 1.1.1 WiFi Jailbreak.
3) I then wanted to upgrade it to 1.1.2 and present it to Apple claiming my 14 day return policy.
4) My boss (Ted) asked me to put 1.1.3 instead, cos’ it doesn’t matter as it is a return ultimately.
5) I updated the firmware to 1.1.3 and to my horror, I saw no Activation screen but directly to my Home Screen on a complete 1.1.3 system with no Cingular signal 🙁
6) I then tried downgrading to 1.1.2 instead but I tried restoring it to 1.1.3 cos’ I couldn’t get iPhone 1.1.3 in DFU mode. Strange but true.
7) I restored it to 1.1.3 and now I could see the connect to iTunes logo on screen but WiFi was still on!! I had to update it to 1.1.3 yet again to achieve a cleaner looking OTB 1.1.3.
8) Now it is looking fine but I saw no bars in the signal area in lieu of ‘No Service’. I was running out of time here. Once I restarted, I got the No Service Signal back. I was being very careful not to chances with Apple Geniuses!!
9) Now I headed to Apple store @ Freehold Raceway Mall (thanks Ted) to return my iPhone 8Gb for a 16GB version. I prepared to tell the store guy that the steel covering on the iPhone’s faceplate is not perfect cos’ I did not find it symmetric. One of the edges is not smoothly blended to the surface. I pointed this to the store guy and asked for a return. He said, “it is a common feature, all iPhones have this!” I found that on some display iPhones too. But I insisted on a return. He said, he will try. He took some time and I was irritated and wanted to get my money back not caring about the restocking fee. Then when he came next, I asked him if I can get a 16GB in return if I pay the difference. He said they didn’t have 16GB iPhones yet. I actually confirmed on phone before I went there. So, I informed him the same. He went in and got a 16GB iPhone and he did not utter a word about restocking fee yet. He was scanning the receipts and stuff. I then enquired if I am going to be charged a restocking fee which he said ‘No’!! My joy knew no bounds and I finished the payment of $107 and I rushed out of the store. My thanks to the store guy and Ted 🙂
Following are my receipts and the ‘Big Brother’ 16GB iPhone 🙂 About Activating and Jailbreaking for a Cingular sim in my next post. All those who bought an iPhone in the last 14 days might give it a go. It might work 🙂
(Pictures will be posted in the evening cos’ I am at school right now and Netfirms played foul all night with my Database 🙁 )