Home » 3.0, 3G, 3GS, DFU, Downloads, iPhone 3.0, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, jailbreak, Ultrasn0w, unlock

20 June 2009 91 Comments

Redsn0w is a revolutionary way to jailbreak, activate, unlock an array of Apple’s devices based on iPhone 3.0 firmware. Devices like iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 1G/2G can easily be jailbroken, activated and unlocked (iPhone 2G – Automatic, iPhone 3G – Manually via Cydia & Ultrasn0w).

If you don’t want to go through the following steps and you just want the real deal, follow this guide rather wherein you can download the custom firmware file which should do the job for you!

The tool itself is so neatly packaged that there is not much left for you to figure out, just launch the application and follow the onscreen directions. All you have to do is download the following files to your computer (Windows or Intel based Mac) :

Step by step guide :

• Also download bootloader packages 39_46 ONLY if you are using iPhone 2G and place them in the same folder where Redsn0w resides
  • Launch Redsn0w on your computer and click on ‘Browse’ button

screenshot 12

• Locate the firmware file on your computer (It should be on your computer since you updated to 3.0 via iTunes). If you updated on a different machine, download the firmware file from the downloads section.
  • On Windows, make sure ‘View hidden files’ option is enabled. It should be found at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\
  • On a Mac it can be found at ~/Users/Username/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/
  • Click on ‘Next >’ button followed by another ‘Next >’ button
  • Make sure your iPhone / iPod Touch is turned off and is connected to your computer and click ‘Next >’ button
  • Now for the infamous DFU mode. Don’t freak out if you fail the first time, it is quite common. Watch the DFU steps video to make sure you get it right the first time. Follow the onscreen hints to get to the DFU mode.
  • After successful completion of the 3 requisite steps (Power, Home+Power, Home), let it do its thing. Give it a little over 7 minutes for the process to complete.
  • Congratulations, you have successfully activated, jailbroken (unlocked*) your device!

Unlocked refers to iPhone 2G only since it automagically unlocks iPhone 2Gs. iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS needs manual software unlock software found in Cydia. Follow this guide for step by step instructions to install Ultrasn0w Software Unlock. iPod Touch doesn’t need unlock step since it was never locked to begin with ;)

• Download Custom iPhone 3G 3.0 Firmware ipsw Files to Activate, Jailbreak, Unlock iPhone 3G 3.0 | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[...] result, these files are waiting for you to download! If you rather want to start from scratch, this guide is for [...]

• ivan said:

working fine , thank you,my 3G finaly freeeeeeeeeeeeee

• chmuzammil said:

I have an iPhone 3G 8GB which is coming from UK and locked with carrier. I want unlock it and want to use in Pakistan. My iPhone OS version 2.2.1 (5H11) and Modem firmware 02.30.03. I also jailbreak with pwnage tool and installed the yellowsn0w but nothing done and now I install redsn0w still unable to unlock my iPhone. Please advice me what I can do now for this.
    If somebody can help me please reply here or sent email on muzammal@worldcall.net.pk

• kaybabi said:

ILYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n by Geohot – Simplest Jailbreak tool ever! | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[...] You should have an iPhone 3GS to start with! iPhone 3G owners should follow this guide [...]

• David said:

Hey Kiran,
    I just updated my 2G iphone to the latest 3.0 Firmware but there is a problem I am having and I am not sure if i am the only one with this issue. The problem is that after I upgraded to 3.0 FW I charged the iphone over night to a full charged battery, the next day I made 1 phone call from work and wifi was off the whole day and in the evening the battery is completely dead. as in the phone went blank. I came home and the phone is currently being charged. The silly thing is, is that i know my battery easily lasts 2-3 days if i don't make that many calls or dont use the wifi as much so i think its 99% the new FW 3.0
    Is there anything I should be doing to in BossPrefs to make the battery usage as it was in the previous FW?

• kkiran (author) said:

This issue is specific to iPhone 3.0 firmware. Many users are facing this issue recently and Apple is prepping a fix for this issue in the next firmware iPhone 3.1 which will be out anytime now!

Temporary fix : Turn PUSH off. Hopefully it will sustain some battery life…

• David said:

Thanks kiran,
    I'll try it and let you know the results.

• Jailbreak, Activate and Unlock your iPhone 3GS Dev Team Style – Download redsn0w for Mac, Windows, Linux! | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[...] Click here for a simple and quick guide to get you up and running with this revolutionary iPhone 3GS jailbreak. Don’t hesitate to post a quick comment if you need help with this. I will try to reply near-instantly! [...]

• ify said:

hey peeps, plz cud u help me, ive an iphone 3g 16gb with os 3.0 i am trying to jailbreak it however i get to the stage after dfu but it just stays there saying "waiting for reboot" …what am i doing wrong?? plz help its sooo infuriating thank uuuuuuuu

ify

• kkiran (author) said:

Hi! I am assuming you have a Mac. For Macs, you might want to take a quick look at the DFU guide http://www.ilikemyiphone.com/2008/12/27/unibody-m… to enable it and then proceed with the remaining steps.

If you have a Windows machine, you might want to reboot both your PC and iPhone and make sure you have latest version of iTunes (8.2).

• ify said:

hello thank u for your rapid response : ), i do have a windows vista machine and i am running itunes 8.2, i was wondering if it mattered wheter therfe is a sim card in the phone ?

• ify said:

hey ive tried to reboot my laptop and iphone but im still stuck on the same part…do i need to be running itunes in the background when i start the process?…. also the dfu process is definitely power 3secs, home and power 10 secs, home 30 secs ??? thank u for your help its much appreciated

• kkiran (author) said:

iTunes may run in the background, it shouldn't matter.

Yep, the DFU method is as you mentioned. You will see a blank screen after DFU.

You have an iPhone 3G right? Try using custom firmware ….http://www.ilikemyiphone.com/2009/06/20/download-… />
    Sent from my iPhone

• ify said:

hey kiran, im sorry to bother you again i dont know if im being really dumb or if its something wrong with my device???? ive downloaded the custom firmware 1 for official contract carriers however when i launch redsn0w it does not recognise it as an .ispw file. how do i make it recognise it? ….i tried your link but im not sure it works…im soo sorry for my dumbness i really would appreciate your help… i have a 16gb iphone 3g 3.0 with vista laptop thank u

• ify said:

also i do get the blank screen afte dfu but it just stays blank on the iphone, and the redsn0w screen say waiting to reboot and it is stuck there.
    cheers

• ify said:

sorry i forgot to mention im using redsn0w 0.8 if that makes a difference?

Hi! Not a problem.

Did you join both the files for custom firmware (part 1 and 2?). The idea behind custom firmware is to avoid redsn0w.

Please follow the steps exactly as described in the custom firmware page. You should use iTunes to load that file and not redsn0w.

• ify said:

apologies again for my ignorance but how do i join both files? and how would i use itunes to load it? thank u again

irfan (ify)

• kkiran (author) said:

Please read the guide here real quick :

Follow it step by step. It clearly indicates how you can join files and them load in iTunes.

• ify said:

hey kkiran, its me again …lol im sorry i must be your worst or stupidest person ever to message you on your brilliant website. ive managed to jailbreak my 2g iphone : ) which is awesome thank you. however when i try to use the custom firmware with itunes for contract customers on my 3g 3.0 the restore fails with an error message 1604, i have tried the other non contract firmware thru itunes and it comes up with error message 1600 is there anything i am doing wrong? thank you again for all your time and help

• kkiran (author) said:

Hey! Congrats on your 2G jailbreak!

For 3G 3.0 : Did you put your iPhone in DFU mode as described in that guide? The display should turn blank and then you may proceed with the shift restore iTunes thingy.

Also try restarting your pc & phone and give it one more try…

• ify said:

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! : )

I did it!!!! get in there!! I just wanna thank you Kiren for your patience firstly with me and my illiteracy and for takin time to respond to all my stupid questions!!! in the end i used firefox to download the 3.0 firmware link from your website it gave me a proper .ipsw file rather then using the one already on my computer.

YOUR WEBSITE IS AMAZING AND SO ARE U DUDE IM GONNA RECCOMMEND U TO ALL MY FELLOW STUDENTS U ROCK!! : )

• kkiran (author) said:

Thanks Irfan! I am glad you got it to work! Now you can help others too :)

Yeah. .ipsw is the file we are looking for. Great job figuring the extension thing out. I am sure you must have spent so many hours on this, but from now on you are a master!

Enjoy your iPhone now and thanks for the compliments :)

• David said:

Hey Kiran, you advise on the offing the push feature works just great. The battery life is same as before. Thanks a tone.

• kkiran (author) said:

Not a problem! Anytime :)

Sent from my iPhone

• Fernando said:

Hi I have an iphone 3gs with the version 3.0 on it. How do i loaded into Redsn0w? Thanks.

• kkiran (author) said:

You can use either purplera1n or redsn0w. Follow the guide on this page or search for 3gs on this site.

• Free Download ipsw : (1G / 2G) iPod Touch 3.0 Firmware [Rapidshare Links] | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[...] placed on the desktop. Hit OK. Step 6) You now have iPod Touch 3.0 firmware on your lovely device! Head over to this guide for jailbreaking your iPod Touch! Spread the [...]

• Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n by Geohot – Simplest Jailbreak tool ever for Windows and Mac! « Gaming Masterz said:

• funkmaster said:

thanks trying forever to get passed the itune activation screen this just bypasses every thing

• Mad said:

When i get to the step to borwse in the redsn0w it says unable to recognize specified IPSW. It shows three different firmware and none of them work when u select. I think my phone is gone forever bc i cant seem to figure this out. If you can help I will continue to try. I have my phone off but connected to the computer. I use Windows.

• kkiran (author) said:

Don't give up so soon buddy! I assure you it will work.

Ok, with redsn0w, since you are having 3.0.1 on your iPhone at this point, you need to browse to 3.0 2g iPhone firmware. Download it from downloads section on this site and redo the redsn0w process but point to the downloaded 3.0 ipsw …. what say?

• Mad said:

Ok it recognized the IPSW and i clicked next and next and now it says to select one of he following…install cydia…install icy…. unlock. what do i select and what do i do afterwards the DFU mode thing right away. My phone is off.

• kkiran (author) said:

Click Cydia and Unlock. It appears off but once you click next, you will see the jailbreak stuff on your iPhone… Great! You are almost done jailbreaking!

• Mad said:

when i clicked next it tells me to enter the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader which i had downloaded like u said. When I try to browse and select them they dont appear yet they are on my desktop, did I miss something?

• kkiran (author) said:

If you downloaded the zip file – you should extract them. They are bootloader files 36.bin and 46.bin ….

• Mad said:

I think im getting close. Do I click on finish on the redsn0w screen. it saysplease wait while ur device is being jailbroken, then a few ways down it says done and gives me option to click finish. Mt actual phone now shows the battery and time. When i slide to unlock will it show the tmobile logo in the corner like before or is that another step. By the way thank you for stickng with me today, i dont know how to thank you. Thank you. I feel like I might get this thanks to you. WHat next.

• kkiran (author) said:

That's it! Congratulations :)

Sent from my iPhone

• Mad said:

Thanks!! But how do I get all my stuff back on there and my SIM card working. I dont see the Tmobile on the corner. We can do this tomorrow I know its getting late. I just need to b able to use my phone.

• kkiran (author) said:

Reboot your iPhone, it is unlocked already…

Sent from my iPhone

• Mad said:

Thanks I rebooted iphone and I still cant make calls bc no carrier shows.

• heav09 said:

Thanks so much….I appreciate all your help I really do.

• Mad said:

Thanks Kiran for everything today. Im calling it a night. I will try to get it to make calls tomorrow. If i get stuck which i willI will send u a comment. Thanks!!!! Have a great night!

Welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone

Good night!

Try putting it in airplane mode (on/off) … Redsn0w unlocked it if you c cydia on homescreen.

Search for bootneuter in cydia and install it… Launch it and select unlock…

Sent from my iPhone

• Mad said:

Good Morning! I'm back to work and back to trying to get this working. Update. My phone seems to b stuck in syncing mode with Itunes. It just does nothing. Itunes says syncing the phone shows the apple with a progress bar with no progress. I tried rebooting I just get the apple. Strange. I thought when I saw that screen it was back then Itunes starting syncing and I think its gone again.

• Jailbreak, Unlock, Activate iPhone 3.0.1 Firmware Released for 2G, 3G, 3GS iPhones | iLikeMyiPhone said:

[...] Use redsn0w to jailbreak. While using redsn0w – when prompted to choose the firmware, simply choose 3.0 firmware [...]

• kkiran (author) said:

Push both Home and Power buttons and shut the phone off and try restarting.

• Mad said:

I have many times and then all that shows is the apple and a few moments later the progress bar under it appears.

• Kiran (author) said:

Progress bar under Apple logo generally appears when you restore your iPhone. Are you restoring it from backup?

• Mad said:

I beleive it said restoring from backup on the itunes last night. Then it began syncing and nothing ever happened or progressed. Now even after I reboot on turn on/off nothing shows except the apple and moments later the bar. Im so frustrated Im so sorry I thought I had it last night . Can you help me?

• kkiran (author) said:

Try not to restore from backup – that way you can minimize these issues/problems.

Unplug your iPhone form PC, push home power button and turn it off completely…

Now while holding home button plug it back in and restore to 3.0.1 and then redsn0w it.

• Mad said:

I am so frustrated and upset with myself. I thought I almost had it last night. I believe itunes said restoring from backup and yet nothing ever happened. Every time i reboot or turn on off nothing..just the apple and moments later the bar under it. I don't know what to do. Can you help? Is it all gone again?

• kkiran (author) said:

Looks like it. I know it is frustrating at the start but after today, you will ace it… don't worry.

iTunes restoring from backup doesn't always play well with jailbroken iPhones unfortunately …

Give it another shot – redsn0w and see what happens…

• Mad said:

Insane I have been trying to get the redsn0w to recognize the firmware and it wont. I even downloaded it again to make sure and nothing. I keep getting IPSW not recognized

• kkiran (author) said:

You will have to choose 3.0 firmware and not 3.0.1…

• Mad said:

Ok I got through that step and selected the Cydia and unlock option. The problem Im having is that I cant turn off the phone unless i hold both home and power button. then when it goes through its thing it says no device is detected. I cant get the slide to power off to show.

• kkiran (author) said:

Hmmmm, you have to try different combinations to let redsn0w recognize your iPhone. How I wish you were in the same city as mine!

• Mad said:

So I keep forcing it off by holding both and when its a blank screen go through all the stuff. Still doesnt recognize. Maybe im not in DFU mode which Ive read n think im doing right. What else can I try. Everything leads back to the apple with the bar under it. Even after I put in recovery mode, shut it down, try to finish redsn0w, nothing it all brings me back to the apple/bar

• kkiran (author) said:

Frankly speaking, I have run out of instructions that I can give online. Try finding a friend who has a mac and give it a go….

• Mad said:

I was able to finally use the redsn0w successfully. I have all icons on the screen. What do I need to do next so I dont loose it all again. How do I get my tmobile SIM to work and how do I use the Itunes. U said not to use the backup option. How do I sync then. Any help with this will b greatly appreciated. I can almost see a light at the end of this.

• kkiran (author) said:

Please follow ultrasn0w tutorial to unlock…

You can sync via iTunes (contacts sync)

Sent from my iPhone

• Mad said:

Thank you but I don't have a 3G I have a 2G. The Ultrsn0w says for 3G.

• kkiran (author) said:

Sorry was confused. 2G iPhones are unlocked using redsn0w itself. So technically it is unlocked at the moment. Do you see Cydia on the iPhone?Did you try rebooting?

• Mad said:

yes i see the cydia logo. The Tmobile doesn't show in the corner it says no service. When I click Cydia it asks who are you…User, hacker developer..

• kkiran (author) said:

Click on user…. search for bootneuter on cydia…

• Mad said:

upgrade essential…complete upgrade or ignore…what do i select? Do i then just do a search for bootneuter

• Mad said:

i chose ignore and installed bootneuter. it says complete return to cydia

• kkiran (author) said:

complete upgrade and then bootneuter search

• kkiran (author) said:

Perfect… It should work fine..

• Mad said:

FINALLY. TMOBILE and I can make calls. Thank you for your patience you are awesome. Of course now im scared to death to try to get my stuff back on there. ANy suggestions on how to start. I tunes ask asks if i want to restore from backup or set up a new phone not sure what that means. Shouldnt all my music and contacts already be there somewhere from the last time I synced??

• kkiran (author) said:

iTunes has tabs – sync contacts, calendar, safari, music …

Congratulations btw!!!

Sent from my iPhone

• Joe said:

Hi I am thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone 3g with OS but am worried that I will break my phone could someone tell me the risks and problem tht may accure by jailbreaking my phone ??

• chris said:

ive been waiting on the please let ur device jailbreak for like 20 min how long does it take or should i do it again?

• kkiran (author) said:

At this point, unplug the iPhone from your PC and plug it back in… It shouldn't take that long…

• chris said:

im on a mac and i followed the steps then got that mac link for the fix dfu thing and then i did it and nothing. i looked at that and it said i need to be on 10.5.6 and im on 10.5.8 so idk if that matters but its still not rebooting on that screen

• kkiran (author) said:

10.5.8 should be just fine. Do you see the waiting or reboot message on redsn0w? You have to unplug your iPhone and plug it back in.. that's the only reason I can think of (I am assuming you are using a 3G iPhone, Intel Mac)…

• sasha said:

redsnow keeps saying it doesnt recognize my ipsw

• takım çeliği said:

katılmak isterdimde anlamadım

• shaikh latifur said:

hi.i hv iphone version 3.0 and i did erse all setting and i didn't take out the sim now i can connect to the computer and the usb,itunes logo is on the screen after what should i do to bring it to its normal position please send some solution for this matter.
    and little quick i m waiting for your reply.

• pit 37 2013 said:

my web blog … pit 37 2013

• shorl.com said:

Feel free to visit my web blog – pit 39 (shorl.com)

• jak rozliczyc pit 36 said:

Look into my web blog – jak rozliczyc pit 36

• pit za rok 2013 program said:

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and
    visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Fantastic work!

My web site pit za rok 2013 program

• エピ ポルトフォイユ ウジェニ 長財布 ホワイト 販売のための said:

かたいでしょ?ね?ね?って聞きまくっててうざがられてるの。 いくら、さんま、ししゃもといった海の幸からじゃがも、とうもろこしそばといった大地の恵みまで多彩な食材を楽しむことができます。 会場では東コレのショーのヘアとメイクをマネキンを使い再現するので、ファセッタズムの追い求める世界観が、よりダイレクトに伝われるのでは」と話している。 あなたは、アダムと私のそばに、あなたの公園で話​​すことができる第三1になります。 勤続3年を記念してもらったチケットで、わざわざ混雑しているお盆時期に東京ディズニーランドへ来園どちらにせよ、必須なのはメールアドレスのみとなる簡単に選べる情報開示は 情報はcsvファイルとしてダウンロードでき、年賀状用の宛名ソフトとも連携可能。 気象予報士の勉強をしている私としては、魚群探知機やレーダーなどに強く惹かれました。 数あるお小遣い稼ぎサイトの中でも、価格比較サイトとして有名な ECナビ(リサーチパネル)毎日のサイト訪問とアンケートに答えるだけで、毎月換金が可能です! なお、料金が不足する場合は、「不足料金受取人払い」として発送します。 優しく柔らかい声とそのパーソナリティーで、独特の世界観を作り上げる。我が国のフェイスブックを用いた商用利用は、この1年で大きな機能向上 フェイスブックを用いたプロモーションをはじめてみませんか! 10月1日に執り行われた2013年度入社者の内定式の様子をご紹介します! 当事務所では費用・料金の支払いについて依頼者の状況により積極的に検討させていただきます(分割払いも相談に応じます)。 ? は、必要なアプリケーションを使用してインストールを持つことは、より速く、迅速なサービスのためにあなたの製品やサービスを提供しているあなたを準備します

• קבלני עבודות עפר said:

Thanks for every other informative web site. The place else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a mission that I’m simply now working on, and I have been at the glance out for such info. Finally I read a very effective material, thank you from my heart .

• download redsnow said:

I don’t understand this article… You should check http://www.redsn0w.us/

for more details

• vente canada goose occasion said:

Redsn0w is the new QuickPwn – Activate,Jailbreak,Unlock iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G / 3GS, iPod Touch Firmware 3.0 [Windows and Mac] | iLikeMyiPhone

vente canada goose occasion http://www.astera53.com/amsterdam/vente-canada-go