When Cydia first surfaced in the 1.1.4 era, I thought I shouldn’t complicate the readers of iLikeMyiPhone, particularly when there is a user friendly installer.app lingering around! Come iPhone 2.0 firmware, I have no other choice but to recommend Cydia given its enhcanced performance, possibility of various critical apps (Summerboard, BossTools and the like) and an intuitive user friendly interface! If I’m selling iPhones I wouldn’t aglow the iPhone deals I have up in my shop to miss this app! Apple’s own AppStore closely resembles installer and Cydia though AppStore seems terribly buggy when it comes to installing an application from your iPhone. Cydia does just this much more intuitvely by letting the user know what is cooking in the background. installer.app though leaked as of today needs much more compatibility testing but Cydia has been going great guns ever since Pwnage saw the light of day!
Recommended apps from Cydia to follow soon!
Cydia Interface Step by Step
Quick Facts / F.A.Qs
How to get Cydia?
- You have to use Pwnage to Jailbreak your iPhone 2.0 and Cydia is a piece of cake given its inclusion in Pwnage software itself. Download all the essential upgrades initially and Cydia works best, trust me 🙂
Is Cydia Stable?
- So far so good! Yet to face an issue! Launch Cydia frequently and it will perform the needed updates from time to time. As simple as it gets!
What are all the apps available?
- Loads of them already if not overwhelmingly high at the moment. Check my recommended apps from the screenshots below (new apps keep popping up all the time, check check check!)
Why should I even use Cydia when AppStore/installer.app does the same job?
- Installer.app is buggy at its best so far and AppStore has some serious restrictions on the type of apps it can SELL, while Cydia thwarts those limitations and best off all its FREE! Even better : Installation and updation of an app on Cydia is a zillion times faster than the AppStore apps!
Is the User Interface for Cydia neat/confusing?
- It can never get any more user friendly! Resembles AppStore and installer in the best manner possible with the ability to add sources, delete, modify applications!
Will it void my warranty?
- Hell yes but you can always revert back to the official firmware from iTunes. You just have to do a quick GOOG search before opting for a warranty claim and it will get easy as a pie! Easy huh?!
Great to see Sauirk’s efforts. Consider donating to this college kid’s efforts, you never know what he has in store for you in the near future!